You are here
As the College's representative in housing, the Resident Assistant (RA) assumes many roles. The RA's responsibilities largely center on establishing and maintaining a welcoming and inclusive residential atmosphere that is conducive to residents’ overall education and development. This involves assisting students on both an individual and group basis.
The Resident Assistant job can be described in six areas:
- General RA Skills: The RA provides leadership, initiative and support to students. RAs are expected to actively demonstrate positive personal, academic, and job-related behaviors;
- Helping Skills: The RA is expected to be available to discuss student concerns and problems, both individually and in groups. The RA also initiates referrals to various specialized services available on campus and in the community;
- Community Development: The RA provides leadership and support for educational and social activities on campus. RAs promote an inclusive and sustainable atmosphere where students are able to grow both academically and personally;
- Accountability Processes: The RA is expected to actively promote and support policies outlined in the Marlboro College Community Constitution and Bylaws, Student Handbook, Housing Contract, and state and federal laws. This necessitates that the RA be thoroughly familiar with the policies and procedures for mediating disputes and reporting incidents;
- Preparation and Planning: RAs are responsible for establishing housing charters, as well as preparing and maintaining their residences. RAs must complete all required paperwork in a timely and accurate manner; stay in touch with the team electronically and in person; and
- Teambuilding: RAs must be able to work with other staff members in a professional manner. They should also be able to provide leadership in their residences/ areas with enthusiasm and a welcoming and inclusive spirit.
Current Resident Assistants (RAs):
(Click on a residence below to jump to the RA for that building or area)
All the Way
Class Standing: Sophomore 1
Academic Areas of Interest: East Asian (Korean) Studies
Hometown: Chicago, Illinois
High School: Roycemore School
What advice can you offer the incoming students? Learn how to tell yourself no. Whether that means academically, socially, financially-- saying no could potentially lift a lot of weight off of your shoulders and make your college experiences a lot less stressful.
If you could have any super power, what would it be? “Superpower manipulation” because I am too indecisive to pick just one
What is your favorite method of procrastination? Distracting others and making them watch K-pop videos with me
What is the best dinner you’ve ever had? Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
What is your most favorite pair of shoes ever? Explain. My adidas-- my dad bought us both a pair so now we have matching shoes
Academic Area(s) of Focus: ??? who knows
Class Status: Sophomore 1
Hometown: Ocracoke, NC
High School: Ocracoke H.S.
What advice can you offer to the incoming class? Never give up on your dreams! Seriously, sleep more. It’s kinda important.
If you had to enter a competition for the "Most Uselessly Unique Talent," what would your talent be? I can make my eyebrows dance and do the wave. It’s pretty sick.
Who would play you in a biopic? Danny Devito, probably.
What is your favorite color? There’s only one color I like more than blue and yellow combined: Green! HAHAHAHA help
Academic Area(s) of Focus: Psychology and Theater
Class Status: Sophomore 1
Hometown: Manhattan, NY
High School: City College Academy of the Arts
If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Shape Shifter
Who would play you in a biopic? Ciara Renee- even if she isn’t Dominican
If you had to enter a competition for the "Most Uselessly Unique Talent," what would your talent be? I can fold my Tongue into a three leaf clover.
You have a 10 page paper due at 9:00 am on Monday. When do you start writing? What Paper… Just kidding, I actually would start it when it was given, just get it out of the way.
Preferred Pronouns: She/ Her/ Hers
Class Standing: Senior 1
Academic Areas of Focus: Politics
Hometown: Farmington Hills, Michigan
High School: Mercy High School
What advice can you offer to the incoming class? Seize every opportunity that is available to you. Make the most of your college years.
What and/or who inspires you? As a woman who is interested in politics and whose childhood ambition was to become the first female president of the United States, it took me about five minutes to fall in love with Parks and Recreation’s Leslie Knope. Her optimism, perseverance, and belief in the potential of the political system as a force for good inspires me.
What was your favorite childhood toy? My stuffed dolphin, Whaley, was a constant and beloved companion throughout my childhood. I received her as a present when I was two years old, and we were instantly inseparable, despite my inability to tell the difference between a dolphin and a whale.
Academic Area(s) of Focus:
[Unstaffed Spring 2018]
Academic Areas of Interest:
Out of the Way / Semi-Independent
Class Standing: Sophomore II
Academic Areas of Interest: Film Production/Theory, Philosophy
Hometown: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
High School: Hempfield High School
What is your favorite method of procrastination? Finding new music and making playlists
Who would play you in a biopic? Probably some awkward, lanky guy who’d go on to play the same character in every subsequent movie (I wouldn’t see it)
If someone rented a billboard for you, what would you put on it? No text- just a plate of shrimp
Academic Area(s) of Focus: Liberal
Class Status: Sophomore 1
Hometown: Appleton, WI
High School: Valley New School
What is your favorite quotation? Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted. ~John Lennon
What do you think is the best feeling in the world? Answering this would violate the Code of Conduct clause in my contract. PM me.
What’s the best dinner you ever had? All the ones before Leni came here and started putting vegetables in my food were great.
If you could have any superpower, what would it be? It would be cool if, every time I saw Tanner, I could conjure up a basketball hoop and dunk on him.
What is one thing every Marlboro student needs to do before they graduate? Party in the Randoms common room.
Nickname: that’s already my nickname
Academic Area(s) of Focus: international relations/sustainable development/east asian studies
Class Status: proletariat [editor's note: lol; also Sophomore 2]
Hometown: Denver, Colorado
High School: Lakewood High School
What is your favorite quotation? I am particularly fond of the one just to the left of the ‘return’ key.
Who would play you in a biopic? Noam Chompsky wearing a parka in springtime
What’s the best dinner you ever had? Any dinner when I get to add vegetables (preferably something green) to Adeel’s plate. #randoms
What do you think is the best feeling in the world? Killing Tanner Jones in assassins [editor's note: this is a role-playing game and nobody actually dies and Tanner is Leni's supervisor so it's all good. Sort of]
What is the ideal way to spend a Saturday on campus? I dunno why don’t you go ask him he is the RA of Random North #randoms
Name: Kariah Scott
Academic Areas of Focus:
Class Status: Sophmore 2