You are here

Resources for Trans Students

Changing Your Name or Gender

The Registrar’s Office is happy to support requests for a change in name or gender. Your privacy is also extremely important to us. Please be assured that all communication with us will be kept confidential.

How Your Name is Used at Marlboro

Preferred Name

  • Nook Resources and Directory (
  • Course Rosters
  • (Moodle)
  • Sonisweb Internal Database
  • ID Card (if you request a change)
  • Username and Email Address (if you request a change)

Legal Name

  • Public Directory Information (unless you have requested a FERPA directory exclusion)
  • Student Accounts and Financial Aid Records and Reporting
  • Transcripts
  • Diplomas

How Your Sex & Gender Identity Are Used at Marlboro

The Common Application requires students to check Male or Female when applying to Marlboro. This data is recorded in our system and is only accessible to certain staff members who work directly with student records. This is not disclosed publicly through electronic or other means, such as on course rosters or your ID card. We are required to use it when generating aggregate data for internal or external reporting purposes. Marlboro does not collect information on sex or gender identity for other purposes or disclose this information.

Changing Your Name Without Legal Documentation

You may change your preferred name in our records at any time by making a request in good faith to the Registrar.  Please stop by our office or email.

Changing Your Name With Legal Documentation

We are happy to change your legal name in our records if you provide official documentation, such as a birth certificate, driver's license, state identification, social security card, passport, or court order. Bring this documentation to the Registrar’s Office for review.

FERPA (Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act)

If you would like Marlboro to keep your legal name private from outside organizations, please fill out a FERPA form requesting exclusion from the directory so we know not to share your information with outside sources.

Changing Your Username and Email Address

We do allow students who have changed names to request a new username and email address. Please contact Tech Support to discuss what this involves.

Getting a New ID Card

We are happy to issue a new ID card to you after a name change. Please contact the Director of Housing and Residential Life.


We are pleased to announce that you are now able to enter your pronouns on your Nook profile under the "Personal" tab. This will show up in the Nook Directory to those in the Marlboro College community.

Marlboro Campus Resources

Legal Name Changes in Vermont and Elsewhere

If you are a resident of Vermont, you can learn more information about changing your legal name through the Vermont Judiciary website. There is a filing fee and you will be required to present a certified birth certificate. The Transgender Road Map Project has more information about legal name changes outside of Vermont.