Clear and easy to use forum discussions are an integral part of good course design.
Discussion “Topics” AKA “Threads” vs Discussion “Posts”
- Use “Standard” forums when you want to have multiple topics of discussion. Often users create new “Topics” when they meant to create a new post in an existing discussion. This usually causes confusion.
- Use “A single simple discussion” when you want to talk about one subject only within a forum.
- Use as few forums as possible to reduce confusion about where to post.
- Which Forum Do I Need? from Moodle.org
- ScreenCast: “Starting a Forum in Moodle”