You are here
Director of Community Safety
Department: Student Life
Reports To: Reports to Dean of Students
The Director of Community Safety provides campus leadership to achieve the goal of a safe and secure campus environment for everyone in the Marlboro Community. The Director collaborates with student leaders, staff, faculty and all campus constituents in setting the overall tone for campus security and personal safety. Reporting to the Dean of Students, the Director works as a member of the Office of Student Life in collaboration with the departments of Residential Life and Plant and Operations.
Essential Functions/Position Responsibilities:
- Collaborate and communicate with Hunter-North Associates and its officers assigned to Marlboro College
- Maintain a high degree of visibility and engagement throughout the campus and surrounding community
- Assist the Dean of Students with Clery data and end of the year Clery report. Serve as Campus Security Authority as outlined by the Clery Act.
- Monitor and respond to campus incidents involving safety and security matters.
- Direct campus emergency procedures and provide leadership during emergency events.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local law enforcement and emergency personnel.
- In conjunction with Dean of Students, develop and manage departmental budget, attend Student Life team meetings, and participate fully in campus life as a member of the Fire and Safety Commission and other relevant groups.
- Actively engage a diverse body of students in community safety and security practices.
- Provide escort services for visitors, students, staff, and faculty, as necessary; provide other public assistance, such as lockout services, and routine information.
- Monitor campus by day on foot, in assigned motor vehicle, or other specialized vehicle to ensure personal, building, property, and equipment safety and security.
- Inform and warn violators of policy infractions, such as loitering, smoking, or carrying forbidden articles.
- Report irregularities, such as security breaches, facility and safety hazards, and emergency situations; contact emergency responders, such as police, fire, and/or ambulance personnel, as required.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned or requested by supervisor.
- Possess an in-depth understanding of applicable laws, risk management, security procedure, policy, and protocol necessary to inform an immediate and correct response to emergency situations.
- Appreciation for and experience working with a diverse student population.
- Demonstrated commitment to being consistent, fair, accessible, and visible.
- Proven ability to create strong ties with the community and surrounding community agencies.
- True team player with a high level of professional ethics and personal integrity.
- Maintain a leadership/management style that is confident, open, approachable, and transparent.
- Possess an understanding of students’ academic, creative, and personal needs, and an ability to comfortably interact with and support students.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in safety, security, law enforcement or related field. Must have knowledge of laws, rules, codes and current principles and practices associated with safety and security operations in a college setting, including OSHA and FEMA
- Driver’s license
- CPR, AED, and First Aid certified
- Ability and willingness to work some evenings and weekends necessary